Monday, December 12, 2016

B for Birthdays


No, it was not a 50 shades themed party.

As a child, I was a super excited, high-on-sugar kid waiting to be allotted/warned for something so I can constantly be on my toes. And it felt so right; after all how many times exactly do you get to live? Why waste it! And so, birthdays naturally looked like harmless, hearty occasions where you could dance and celebrate the bejeezus for you being born… until I realized getting old was a thing.

At four, I remember my paa buying me a blue shirt and red pants (Picture Hritik Roshan from his Koi Mil Gaya Item number, only groovier) and a big birthday cap and threw a party where all my friends and cousins were running around, awaiting the cake cutting impatiently. He always thought of me as his son, and so, short hair and trousers soon became my signature style. At one point, I remember Saturday being my favourite day of the week so I could wear my white shirt/pants with plum coloured suspenders to school. I was encouraged to do everything I can do (and be good at it) and it only helped that I detested anything that screamed girly. Until one summer, boobs sprung out and I took a liking to cricket. I was told to ‘drop the ball’ since cricket was only meant for boys. That birthday I learnt that accomplishments too have a gender.

At six, I learnt a new habit (that was sulking, btw!) that hit new heights at my brothers' first birthday party. Suddenly after a little short of five years, them entering my life (together) came as a rather big deal to me. ‘Why they needed more time from my mom’, ‘why their birthday parties were a much bigger affair’, ‘why everyone suddenly found them cute and me weird in a boy cut and a rather new party frock’, my list was endless. That birthday party seemed like the worst day of my life. And yet, as I watched the grown-ups around playing the game of perspective, arguing if my drawing was of a boa constrictor or a hat, there was a rather sweet release in finally understanding the cause of it all. That birthday party, I learnt subjectivity is a thing best left for lovers.

At 16, coming to college felt like coming of age. Well, at least, the teenage part of me felt so. People are super nostalgic about their school life and what not, but for me college was the place where I found my core and learnt to celebrate it too. But one thing in college I particularly enjoyed was observing people, witnessing them as they come to their true self for a flip second, only to get behind their garb of what they think of themselves again. And birthday parties were the best place to do that- The day your vanity submerges into your ego.

This was the year I learnt the concept behind birthdays- that these son of a bitch days are not just for showing your happiness on that person being born but also to mend ways with a friend you haven’t been talking to for ages, to get an excuse to call and check on your ex you promised you won’t ever call again and sometimes, that obligations come packed in all kind of beautiful wrapping papers, and sometimes, just to live up to others’ expectations more than yours out of a birthday. And amidst all of this, I was proud of my sense of objectivity. But as a consequence, love became difficult to hold and another birthday later, I cried my eyes out when empathy and not love was all I could offer to someone’s honest, overwhelming love. 

Turning 18 is hugely overrated. So we won’t talk about that. Instead, at 19, I got what was the best surprise of my life- An understanding on the concept of love in the shape of a series of surprise birthday gifts, each telling a story as I found them. Sometimes, a feeling dies, but a moment continues to live and be passed on with stories. No wonder people fall in love with stories so easy.

At 22, life was giving lemons (sans the soda so I couldn’t even make lemonade out of it) and I found solace in running away from time to time that people called travelling. Finding my own sweet spot only to wonder what’s next. It was in the midst of skepticism and impulsive hope then that I decided to celebrate my third and last birthday of the year away from home and all things familiar.

I picked a city where the lost is never intended to be found, told my office I was getting engaged, and left with little to no expectations for a five-day trip. It was messy, I won’t lie. It had its hiccups and I have never been a very good planner anyway. But there was something very comforting about spending your birthday with strangers who had no idea it were your birthday and cutting an upside down pineapple pastry for a birthday cake with a stranger who didn’t really seem strange after all. And so, on my 23rd birthday, I learnt the gift of loving thyself, and eventually that charming mess of a city I’ll later have an affair with.

I now live in the same charming mess of a city. Few days before, I celebrated my 27th birthday. There was nothing remarkable about the day, not that I wanted it to have any. But at night, I slept happily in the awareness of the fact that there are people on earth who are capable of feeling unconditional love and they happen to love me. And with the hope of someday getting comfortable with that, I found my peace.

And for those who couldn't believe my innate sense of groovy fashion was there right from childhood, here you go:





No comments:

Post a Comment